Recovering From Religion:
Humanist Peer Support and Discussion Group
January – December, 2018 – meeting the third Wednesday of every month, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. Innovative Center, 3280 Progress Dr #100, Orlando, FL 32826. Parking is free and adjacent to the building.
Learning to live after questioning, doubting, or changing beliefs is a journey. Recovering from Religion is a national network of support groups designed to connect you with support, resources, community, and hope.
We respect and honor the faith journey of every participant. We will remain neutral on the subject of religion and provide a safe, non-judgmental, confidential space for sharing and exploration with peers.
Topics may include:
- Feelings of loss or grief about your beliefs or religious community
- A sense of betrayal about what you were taught to believe
- Lingering fear or doubt about leaving your religion
- Managing relationships with people in your life who still believe
- Anger about being manipulated, coerced, or held back by your previous beliefs or religious community
- Letting go of feelings like shame or guilt
- Opportunities for education and personal growth
- Success in meeting personal goals and sources of happiness and comfort
- Coming Out
- Coping with grief, loss, and mortality without religion
- Seeking meaning and purpose in secular life
Hosted by the Humanist Chaplain at the University of Central Florida, this group is free and open to the public. This is a peer discussion only, not a therapy group.
The meetings are free to join and are open to students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members. This group is part of the national Recovering from Religion network.
Individual consultations are available by appointment.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 407-823-3094 for more information.
Seeking secular-friendly counseling on campus or in Orlando?
UCF Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is committed to serving students, faculty, and staff of all faith and non-faith perspectives. In addition, many of its therapists are Secular Safe Zone Allies. You may request a Secular Ally therapist or counselor.
For professional counseling off-campus, these local Therapists are secular-friendly:
Additional Support Resources:
- Recovering from Religion
- Recovering from Religion hotline: 1-844-368-2848
- Recovering from Religion, Mount Dora Group
- Secular Therapy Project