Humanist and Secular Services is proud to host the Secular Student Volunteerism Scholarship for students at UCF!
Students who volunteer in our community, and whose philosophy of secular community engagement sets an example of excellence in service, are eligible.
Click students’ names for more information.
- Spring 2018: Anna Lonergan, $1,000
- A Certificate of Community Impact will be awarded to each member who meets the eligibility requirements.
- Awards will be provided in both Fall and Spring semesters:
- $1000 first place
- $500 second place
- Must be enrolled at UCF full time (12+ credit hours for undergraduate and 9+ for Graduate and Post Baccalaureate programs);
- Must be a member in good standing of the Secular Student Alliance at UCF;
- At least 15 service hours must be documented, during the semester, at a 501(c)3 charitable organization and include a description (such as “sorted food donations” or “hosted registration table for cancer walk”). Hours must be documented in KnightConnect.
- Applicants will compose a brief statement (250-1000 words) on why it is important for Secular Americans to engage in volunteerism or on the experience of volunteering as a secular individual.
- Essays may be shared by local Humanist blogs and by national organizations such as the Foundation Beyond Belief.
- Author will have the option to remain anonymous in the public postings.
- Even though this is intended as a book scholarship award, if a Senior wins the award in their final semester, they will still receive the award amount in cash.
- Only one award per year per student (one year from award date).
- Deadlines: Students must submit applications by the last day of classes. Winners will be notified promptly, and the award will be processed as soon as possible.
- NOTE: Students who have a financial aid package should be aware that receipt of additional aid (such as any scholarship) may in some cases be applied to already received awards. For example, a student with a full award package may have the amount applied to their loan rather than provided as a check. Students with questions about this should contact the office of Financial Assistance.
A Scholarship Committee, which may include faculty, staff, students, and community members, will review applications and essays and determine by vote the first and second place winners.
LINKS FOR STUDENTS
Apply for the scholarship through https://ucf.academicworks.com/
Questions? contact firstname.lastname@example.org directly or call 407-823-3094.
Help us increase student support and build up funds for a fully endowed secular student scholarship.
https://www.ucffoundation.org/give-to-a-ucf-program (Designate to “Other”, project SDES000360.)
Click here for a printable donation form: https://srmaucf.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/pledgeform.pdf
UCF Employees can give through payroll deduction. Contact 407-882-1220 or pledge during the “I Believe” Faculty and Staff Campaign.